One-Spice Lamb Curry
Why switch recipes when your tried-and-true is still good after 40 years?
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup butter [whew! I used 1/4 cup olive oil instead]
- 3 lbs cubed lamb meat, dredged in flour [1/2 cup]
- 3 Tblsp curry powder
- 3 tart apples, peeled and chopped [I didn't have any, so I used 3 cups of cubed butternut squash — yummy]
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 lemons, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup flaked/shredded coconut [I used unsweetened]
- 1/4 cup brown sugar [I used just 1 Tblsp]
- 1 Tblsp salt [1 tsp is plenty]
- Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Add dredged flour and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add curry powder and apples, simmer for five minutes. Sir again.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Pour 3 cups water over all and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for one hour [I used only 2 cups of water and covered the pan for the long cooking, in hopes of making the whole thing thicker in the end. It worked.]