Leg of Lamb Roast 1
Loosely adapted from a recipe for kababs in Maya Kaimal's wonderful cookbook, "Curried Favors"
- 1 leg of Soay lamb, likely to be about 3 pounds
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp finely grated garlic
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, finely ground
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (ground red)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 and 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix everything but the lamb in a gallon ziploc bag as a marinade.
- Put the lamb in the marinade, turn a few times to coat well, and seal the bag with as
little air in it as possible.
- Marinate the lamb for 1-6 hours, turning occasionally if you happen to think about it.
- Roast the lamb. If you have a rack to put it on in the roasting pan, all the better.
I prefer searing the roast first in a 450F oven for 10 minutes, then lowering the heat to
350F. Use some sort of meat thermometer and follow your oven's instructions for how long
to cook the roast. Soay-sized leg roasts usually take about an hour to cook to medium
rare (140F internal temperature) if the roast is at room temperature to start with,