Black Bean & Lamb Chili
I was introduced to this ridiculously easy, yummy chili by my
friend and neighbor Deborah Rennie, an award-winning dancer who fuels her
performances with this healthy and filling comfort food.
- 1.5 lb ground Soay or other mild lamb
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Penzey's Singapore spice
- 1/2 tsp Penzey's Sweet Curry
- 1/4 tsp Penzey's Balti spice
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tblsp tomato paste
- 3 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tblsp finely chopped cilantro, divided
- feta cheese
- Brown and drain lamb.
- Saute onion in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, lamb, wine, spices and tomato paste. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans and half the cilantro. Cover and simmer another 20-30 minutes.
- Just before serving, add remaining cilantro, dish up bowls, and top with feta cheese.